- Introduction to DIY ways to use LED for your room
- DIY LED Clouds in your room
- What you need for LED Clouds in your room
- How long does it take to put DIY Cloud LEDS in your room?
- Steps to putting up LED Clouds in your room
- How do you use LED lights in a bedroom?
- Is it OK to have LED lights in your room?
- How do I put RGB lights in my room?
- What color LED light should I sleep with?
- What color LED uses the least power?
- Do Tiktok LED lights attract bugs?
- LEDs for your ceilings
- What you need to buy for LED coving
- Creating infinity mirrors using LED
- What you need to buy for LED infinity mirrors
- Instructions to make an LED infinity mirror
- How do I put an infinity mirror on a picture?
- How many times can a mirror reflect itself?
- How does an illusion mirror work?
- How is an LED mirror made?
- How do you make an infinity mirror ceiling?
- What to look for in LED strips?
- What are the different types of LEDS?
- Why LEDs are awesome?
- So… Leds can make cool stuff!
Introduction to DIY ways to use LED for your room
LED lights are becoming more popular for those who want to brighten up their rooms. After all, it is affordable and aesthetically-pleasing. These are not just simple lights, as they have advanced features now that makes it more worthwhile to purchase.
Some of these features include integration with audio systems, Wi-Fi control, and design presets. In case you’ve purchased an LED for your room, check out the different ways you can use it to make your room livelier.
And… in case you guys don’t know the legend of the Amblone DIY LED light for your tvs , monitors and other screens… we stumbled upon it after a couple people sent us emails about the product that used to call this domain home. So we fell down that rabbit hole for a bit, checked out the DIY files, tried to put them up ( in our words so we didn’t just copy other peoples work) so that if people did come here looking for it they might be able to find it.
So…. if you are looking for those please check out the Amblone FAQ’s that we did up right there!
DIY LED Clouds in your room
Do you remember the star decorations you had on your ceiling when you were young? Now, you can bring the feeling of having the skies in your room through LED technology. Through this, you can see and touch clouds, all while being able to control its color depending on your mood. This can be done for any room, but the larger the room, the more materials you will be using. If you have been on Tik Tok or anything lately you have probably seen some crazy videos of what people have done. Well we haven’t been because we don’t get Tik Tok.. it is just so confusing…. who is making these dances? Who are they talking to and what in the world is UWUWUWUUUWUWUWUW?!!!
So if you are like us and don’t understand Tik Tok, check out these youtube videos which are cool.
What you need for LED Clouds in your room
1. Poster board – As much as possible, choose the largest one available. After all, you can simply cut it later on. We recommend purchasing 24 x 36 posters.
2. Duct tape – Choose one that is very adhesive. After all, it will need to support both the LED lights and the polyester fiber. Do note that using adhesives on ceilings might leave marks on it. Because this can be an issue for renters, be sure to reread your building’s regulations about this as to be sure.
3. Polyester fiber – This will serve as the clouds of your room. Depending on the size of the room and ceiling, you may need between 5-10 of these. Be sure to pick a high-quality one so that its fibers wouldn’t detach easily.
4. Spray adhesives – This will attach the fiber to the boards. These can easily run out, and are usually good only for one bag of polyester fiber. Because of this, be sure to buy many of these.
Additionally, it will be safer for you to wear a dust mask while using spray adhesive.
In case the spray adhesive is not enough, you can also use a glue gun to stick heavier parts.
5. LED lights – This will be the integral part of the design. For the best results, pick one which has advanced functions, such as smartphone controls, color change depending on background music, and design presets.
In case the LED lights are inadequate for you, you can also add Christmas lights into the design. However, be sure that this does not heat easily to prevent it from being a fire hazard.
How long does it take to put DIY Cloud LEDS in your room?
The whole process can take between 3-5 hours depending on how big your room is. While doing it, be sure to have adequate ventilation especially if you’re using spray adhesives.
Steps to putting up LED Clouds in your room
The process for this is straightforward.
First, tape the poster board to your ceiling. Try to make it as close to each other as possible so that your clouds will be thicker later on.
After this, you can stick the lights on the poster board in a circular shape. As much as possible, make the lighting as distributed as possible. Through this, the light can be spread on as many areas as possible.
You can then start sticking the polyester fibers to the board. For a more realistic look, make some parts thicker than the others.
After this, you can now turn on the LED lights. At this point, you should now see your room transform into the indoor room you wanted.
How do you use LED lights in a bedroom?
You can use it to change the mood inside the room. You can also stick it on bed frames, ceilings, and televisions to accentuate its design.
Is it OK to have LED lights in your room?
As long as it has safety certifications and does not easily heat, it is safe to use LED lights for your room. Be sure to turn it off when not being used.
How do I put RGB lights in my room?
You can use an LED light that has multiple color settings to show red, green, blue, and other lights in your room.
What color LED light should I sleep with?
Contrary to popular belief, blue light can actually be more stressful for your eyes. Because of this, warm colors, such as red and yellow, are more recommended.
What color LED uses the least power?
Red LEDS uses the least electricity.
Do Tiktok LED lights attract bugs?
It can, but it does not attract it as much as incandescent bulbs. This is because it produces less heat, which are the ones which attract bugs.
LEDs for your ceilings
One of the best ways to use LEDs is to make your ceilings more accentuated. The light it produces gives an illusion of more depth and more color. At night, these can make your room appear calmer too. Once you add different color variations, it can also make your room appear more festive. While there are a lot of different ways to install Leds in your ceiling we really like this one, where they were hidden in the moldings. But you could see the nice glow:
There is an entire DIY to that install, but to be honest it is a fair bit further ahead than we can really see ourselves trying. Right now we are trying to master putting the leds on the wall in an even line… so it is a bit too advanced for us.
What you need to buy for LED coving
1. LED strip profiles/coving – These are either made with wood or aluminum, and can be purchased online. You can also create this manually if you have the skill. For one wall, you may need between 2-4 of these. When buying one, be sure that you’ve measured your room beforehand.
To bring out the colors of your LED, these come with a reflective tape.
2. LED lights – For this, it is best to buy one that has its own adhesive to make it easier to stick to the profiles. Advanced features like mobile control are also always better.
For this, you will need multiple lights. You may need a transformer to power multiple strips at the same time.
3. Adhesives – For the profiles and coving, it is best to use epoxy adhesives. It is long lasting, and can handle the weight. When using it, be sure to have a source of ventilation in the room so that you won’t inhale too much of it.
How long does it take to put LEDs on your ceiling ?
This one will take up to 3 hours of your time. It mainly depends upon how big your room is and whether you are familiar with using the adhesives for the profiles.
How to do it
First, put the LED lights into the profiles you’ve bought. Be sure that its measure is exactly for where you are planning to place it.
You can then attach the profiles or coves on the wall which you would like to illuminate. In case adhesives are not enough, you may need to use nails.
Aside from putting it on your ceiling, you can also put it under your bed, on shelves, and other behind picture frames.
How can I run LED lights in my bedroom?
LED lights can be either battery-operated or plugged on an outlet to function. You can then place it on top of surfaces, behind shelves, and other parts of the bedroom.
How do you hide LED strip lights?
You can use aluminum profiles or wooden coves for this. This gives it a sleek and elegant touch.
Can you cover LED strip lights?
Yes, but be sure to leave some room for the light to still pass through. It is also best to put reflective tape near the surface it is installed.
Can you cover LED lights with electrical tape?
Do not cover the LED lights as you run the risk of overheating it. Most lights also come with their own adhesive which removes the need to use electrical tape.
How do you diffuse LED panels?
For this, you can use simple household materials such as frosted shower curtains, bedsheets, pillow cases, and parchment paper.
How hot do LED strips get?
Generally, high-quality ones do not really get hot as long as they are used within a reasonable amount of time. Be sure to provide adequate ventilation in the room it is used in to avoid overheating it.
Creating infinity mirrors using LED
Infinity mirrors are an optic illusion that seemingly gives endless reflections. This is a cool design that can always brighten up any room. It is also simple to do even if it sounds very complicated.
These work by reflecting less than 90% of the light that it receives. When used with a one-way mirror, there is an illusion of many virtual images forming seemingly into infinity. If you need any other convincing other than you are going to be looking at a mirror that looks like it will go on forever… check out this video:
What you need to buy for LED infinity mirrors
1. A frame – This can be anything sturdy and can hold a mirror inside it. You can also construct this by layering wood with a bezel, with a space inside for fitting the LED and holding the mirror.
2. LED strip – For this, a good option is to use LED strips that can be cut and reconnected. Through this, you won’t have difficulties in fitting it to your chosen frame. Approximately 30 LED/m strips can be used.
3. A reflective and a one-way acrylic mirror – These are layed on top of each other, with the one-way mirror serving as the cause of the optical illusion.
Instructions to make an LED infinity mirror
First, drill a hole by the bottom of the frame. This is where the LED wires will be placed. Be sure to leave a space for where the plug of the LED can be poked through.
Next, put the fully reflective acrylic mirror on the back of the frame. It is important for it to be on the back, with its reflecting side facing on the front of the frame.
You can then attach the one-way acrylic mirror on the frame. Its reflective end should face the frame, directly facing the reflecting mirror on the back.
After this, you can turn on the LED light and see the illusion it has made.
How do I put an infinity mirror on a picture?
For this, simply follow the steps above, except that you will place a photo behind the one-way mirror before shutting it close.
How many times can a mirror reflect itself?
The number of reflections made through this illusion depends upon how far apart the reflective mirror and the one-way mirror is.
How does an illusion mirror work?
It works by having a one-way mirror placed in front of a reflective mirror. The former does not completely reflect all the light it receives, which causes this illusion.
How is an LED mirror made?
You simply need to stick LED lights at the corners of the mirrors to do this.
How do you make an infinity mirror ceiling?
This will take more work, as you will need to have two mirrors that are the size of your ceiling. For safety reasons, it is better to hire a carpenter to do this job for you.
What to look for in LED strips?
If all of these have motivated you to purchase an LED strip for yourself, check out the following factors to consider before you do.
What are the different types of LEDS?
The term “LED strip” is broadly used for many types of lights. However, they differ in terms of its durability and the way that it is powered.
First are DC LED Flex Strips which use low electricity, are easy to mount because they come with adhesives, and can be purchased waterproof. Next are AC Strip Lights, which are powered by plugging it on an outlet. It is usually long because it has a powerful source of electricity.
Next are LED Rope Lights which are preferred for dim lighting to accentuate shelves and ceiling. It is usually encased. Lastly are High Output LED Strip, which as its name suggests, uses the most electricity. This is used for lighting up living rooms and kitchens.
Why LEDs are awesome?
Some LED strips are made only to give ambient lighting for rooms, and come with the basic controls for power and for changing the colors.
On the other hand, some are made to give your room more personality. There are many light strips that can be programmed to change colors and intensity depending on the music you’re playing. Some can even be linked to your phone to control it.
Aside from this, there are also LED strips made to be waterproof. This is if you will be using it in your garden or patio. For this, look for an IP65 rating to be sure that weather conditions wouldn’t destroy it.
Before purchasing one, know why you are buying in the first place first as to be guided.
There are two color variations, one with only one color, and those that utilize RGB. The latter is a good choice if you want multiple color variations. This allows you to create different modes of lighting to fit a certain mood, such as for partying, calm afternoons, and rainy nights.
So… Leds can make cool stuff!
As you can see, LED lights can be used to make your room livelier. Through these DIY tricks, you can also create fun designs that make your lighting much more interesting. Before buying one, be sure to consider the different types and features according to your reason for buying it.
What that really means, is that if you are going to DIY any of these things please make sure you get at least decent quality leds. In the horror stories we have read the common issue was that the products had shorts or the power supplies shorted out one way or another. So while the budget conscious people might look for the lowest price possible, we suggest that you try to find some that might cost a little more but have a good reputation.
PPS…. if you are wondering how we stumbled upon this , other than the OG Amblone project… we kind of just fell down the LED rabbit hole… as you can see when we looked at The 5 best FREE android AI image generators… we used the different engines to create what we think.. the computer thought… the neural network thought… a human would think of when they thought of led strips… and in case you haven’t seen that post here is one of the pictures 🙂